The first task of the painter is to make a flat surface give the appearance of a body standing out from the surface -- and whoever outstrips others in this respect is most worthy of praise. This science, or rather this peak of our knowledge, depends on light and shade.
- Leonardo Da Vinci
4/12/2009

Stir Me (Coffee Cup and Spoon)

Posted by Anonymous

Stir Me (Coffee Cup and Spoon)
12x16 Acrylics on canvas

Here is the next painting in my series of coffee cups. One of my purposes in painting the same subject many times over is to become very familiar with the anatomy of the objects involved.

I didn't follow the Flemish Technique this time, and the first thing I noticed was how there was a very definite "ugly stage" while I was blocking in the basic shapes. I didn't enjoy that stage of the painting, but I managed to smooth everything and I'm more than satisfied with the results.

2 comments:

Sadia said...

An amazingly realistic painting! The porcelain of the cup and the chrome of the spoon is incredibly remarkable! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!

Post a Comment