
There's a local diner near where I live and I decided to take the opportunity to shoot my subject "in the wild" as it were. I've been preparing mock restaurant settings at home and was longing for something more natural looking. I think the window and strong backlighting in this view from Table #1 at Spud's helped achieve that, even though I did move things around a bit for a good composition.
This painting was completed entirely in Black & White following the Flemish Technique before glazing several thin layers of color. There are surprisingly few colors applied, but glazing produces additional colors optically by overlapping layers.
Spud's Griddle: View from Table #1
12x12 Acrylic on canvas
SOLD
Followers
The first task of the painter is to make a flat surface give the appearance of a body standing out from the surface -- and whoever outstrips others in this respect is most worthy of praise. This science, or rather this peak of our knowledge, depends on light and shade.
- Leonardo Da Vinci
- Leonardo Da Vinci
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hi Mark, I was so glad to see this site.
I have really appreciated your posts over on WC.
And wanted to follow your work, but I could never get your old site to load properly.
I think your doing some amazing work and truly disapprove the myth that acrylics do not create the depth in glazing that oils do.
Top notch work.
Thanks very much Jim. Sorry about my web site. I had to take it down since I no longer have a place to host it. I just posted some of my thoughts on glazing and how to avoid the dullness of which acrylics are accused.
This was a present from my dear Donna & Bruce, given the evening before I went in for a knee replacement and some extra credit problems that came with the knee. I had seen this and made the comment that if I was pining for a small painting, this would be exactly what I'd love in the Kitchen. Who knew that a few months later, it would come to live with me in my kitchen?.. of course. Beautifully painted, subtle accents remind you of how the light plays off of the different surfaces shiny, matte, curved, painted, raw, textured.
This is a brilliant little piece that also tells a host of stories of people's lives, people who stop by daily, people just passing through, people who've know each other over 50 years in some cases. The whole history of the town, where this diner sits, can be found in this small,
detailed slice of breakfast life, waiting for another diner to come and
leave a story at the table. Mark... Thanks for allowing your little gem
to come all the way to Northern California and perk up the life of an aging girl who still dreams of cross country road trips. I will treasure
this with my other traveling souvenirs, as I go from traveler to keeper
of the adventure memories. All the Best, Grace
Post a Comment